I heard a horror story the other day. There were no psychotic clowns, no Freddy Kruegers, no paranormal
activity nor even any blood spilled; it was worse. The story had to deal with the work place and
went something like this (please note that this is not my workplace, just a
random story):
"So we were waiting in a conference room to meet
with various parties in the IT group. We
were sitting at one end of the table when the network guys came in. They came in, sat down at the other end, and
started talking to each other about how to do this project with us. They didn't even acknowledge us."
I
literally sat there with my mouth opened as I listened to this story (I might have even felt my heart stop for a sec). Here is the REALLY scary question: does this sound familiar? Let me let you in on a little
secret here, Infosec professionals: THIS IS BAD.
We can't achieve anything in our field without the help
of others; I don't care where you work.
There are no independent super men or women who get it all done, get
the bad guy in jail and not harm innocent bystanders (also while maintaining perfectly quaffed hair). We must learn to play well with others or we
will simply fail.
So how does this magic happen? I'll give you a hint: I may have mentioned it
in a previous post. Yes, it's true. We need to talk to others. That's step one. Then there are other cooperative steps we can
take as follow ups (thank you to this lovely article I found), and here are a couple highlights:
- Listen ACTIVELY (just because you think you know what someone is saying, don't cut them off. Let them finish and then make sure you heard them right)
- Assume goodwill (paranoia won't serve you well in all cases; try to stay positive)
- Be open to the possibility that you are wrong (this is so critically important. I can't count how many arguments that I have seen where people spin their wheels for the wrong reasons. No one is right all the time. We can't be- we're human.)
If you resolve to do one thing this year, Infosec world- try to work on just one thing with someone outside of your team. Be careful though! Your horror story may end happily ever after.
Great points but I would challenge that there are no roles in IT that can be successful without close collaboration across disciplines. Therefore, we all need to actively listen (a personal life long goal), respectfully challenge and acknowledge varied perspectives.
ReplyDelete