Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Living in the Ivory Tower



The view is nice up here in the ivory tower.  You can see for miles and miles.  The mountains are tall and the sky is blue.  The clouds dot the skyline and the sun always shines.  There is just one small problem that I can't put my finger on at the moment.   It's this little buzzing sound.

No, it's not a fly or a bee.  It's this constant, low hum that I cannot get out of my ears.   But it's not in my head.  The noise seems to be coming from below...far below my ivory tower.  Maybe if I lean over the side for just a second, I can figure out what it is.  Is that..voices?  By golly, I think it is!  Perhaps someone is trying to speak to me while I contemplate whose life to make miserable today?  Maybe if I lean a little further...

Infosec professionals:  if you have caught yourself in the above scenario recently I have this to say to you: quit leaning, find the stair case, make your way down to the ground floor and find those voices.  Those voices that you hear humming are the voices of the folks you need to protect: other people in the office/organization.

If you sit in your ivory tower, you miss out on a lot.  Not only do you risk altitude sickness, but several key things to your success are impossible to grasp the longer you stay up in your lofty deck:

1) You miss out on listening to what your partners and peers really think of your information security program.  Hallway and water cooler chat is invaluable to understanding the true culture of your organization. If you can pick this up correctly, you'll have a much better time implementing the protections needed to safeguard the kingdom.

2) If you sequester yourself too much, you can't truly grasp the needs of your constituents.  Ignoring true business needs risks you being ineffective and failing.

3) Most of all, sitting in your tower marks you as unapproachable.  You want people to come to you with their questions and concerns.  The bigger your personal moat and the more alligators you keep in there, the more people will avoid you and not want to align with your program.

Besides, too much sunning yourself on the ivory deck just gives you a sunburn.  

Infosec professionals: tear down that snooty ivory tower and build a nice single-level coffee shop that invites cooperation, listening, and action to build a better information security program.  Your kingdom must promote peace, not tar and feathering. 


2 comments:

  1. The majority of InfoSec professionals are ineffective because they cannot relate to the business and communicate in a language that engages business leaders. In many cases for these poorly equipped security professionals there is a need to learn the language of business and communicate issues in a language that the these leaders can comprehend and relate; otherwise, it will be like me talking to my dog and all she hears is blah, blah, blah, Freyja, blah, blah, blah... Stop the "security theater" and histrionics and engage the business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy - I absolutely agree. We collectively need to engage the business and help solve problems as team members; nt sitting back in judgment. Great post.

    ReplyDelete