I was having a blah day the other day. One where you are kind of in a fog when you
get to work and the fog just kind of hangs around all day until you go
home. But somewhere
along the way that day, I managed to make it to the sports store where I always
buy running shoes. There is a guy there
that has run probably millions of miles over the years, and he always has an
interesting thing or two to say.
And that's when I learned how to tie my shoes.
OK, I know that
you are thinking: wait, what? You are
how old and you just learned how to tie your shoes? Yup. I
did. You see, I tend to double tie all my
laced shoes, especially running shoes, because it drives me bonkers to stop and
re-tie them. But the running shoe store
guy showed me how to tie without the double knot, and they DON'T ever come
untied. This is the greatest. Thing.
Ever!
Now you think I am really nuts, I know. I just spent two paragraphs writing a "Dear
Diary" entry. But, there is a
point. This little tiny shoelace thing
inspired me. I learned something
new. Something that has been
ingrained in me my entire life to do the same way.
I still catch myself doing it the old way, but I do correct myself and
do it the new way.
So maybe we, as Information Security leaders, can do
something similar for our teams. Maybe,
just maybe, instead of handing out only "get it done" type of tasks,
we try to find a way to show our teams how to tie their shoes. OK, not literally! But maybe we can teach them a skill that they
haven't exercised in themselves enough to do well in the past (e.g. verbal communication),
and maybe when they use it well (explain a technical risk to a non-technical
person) and get that it works, maybe they too will be inspired.
Now back to me for a minute. After my little shoelace lesson, I did notice
a change. The fog lifted and I made it consciously the rest of the way home. Was
it because my shoes were secured tightly on my feet? Nope.
It was because I realized that I can still learn new things. And sometimes, that's all it takes to get
your inspiration back.
What do you do for your inspiration?
No comments:
Post a Comment