"Let's do lunch!"
"I will make that happen"
"I can get that to you by Friday"
I bet either you've said that or heard that
recently. If you said it, did you deliver? Nothing is more irritating than having
something promised to you, then the commitment is not met. Then you have to nag the person mercilessly
until they provide it. So, did you
promise something and then not deliver it, and now you are being nagged?
An instant way to build trust is to deliver on your
promises. No matter how little,
following up on something you said you'd do will pay off handsomely in the long
run. The key to this; however, is not over-promising. We tend
to automatically spit things out like: "of course I can do that in 24 hours!" when our brain truly knows that we can't in
fact do that in a week. There is no
shame in taking more time to provide a realistic estimate rather than promising to do
something then not doing it.
Even worse, if you can't make your commitment, don't ignore the promisee! Communicate a clearly
revised deadline with plenty enough notice so that they can reasonably adjust
whatever may rely on the output of your task.
Again, I don't care how small you think the promise is, the person you
committed to may think that it is much more important.
Lastly, if you can't do it, then say so! How often would you have appreciated a real
answer versus a tap dance? As infosec
professionals, being honest and ethical is part of the job description. If our partners can't believe and trust in
our work and ourselves, then why would they want to work with us? Think about the traits of people that you
like to work with: I bet one of them is delivering on their promises. We must be the examples if we are to succeed,
so start practicing now!
For a little more on this topic, here is a good article.
No comments:
Post a Comment