Sunday, August 31, 2014

Nope, I don't need my eyes checked

While working on a couple things this week, and I was reminded of a very important technical tenet in forensics that I realized applied to leadership very well: looking at things with different viewers can reveal things you didn't see before.  My thoughts came to light today as my husband and I took a quiet hike out in the beautiful weather we are having in Arizona right now.

We were just about to turn around when I peeked over the next gate we'd have to go through had we decided to go ahead.  I saw something that made me think I was hallucinating: water! (For those of you not in Arizona, this is an odd thing to come across while hiking in the forest.)  We forged ahead a little ways to see a beautiful pool of water in a field of grass.  The extra look and effort made it worth the entire hike.

How does this apply to forensics?  More importantly, how does it apply to leadership in Infosec?  Well, in forensics, if you look at a file in two different viewers, oftentimes you'll see new snippets of data that you didn't see in both viewers, just the one.  If I hadn't peered down the hiking path today to see what may lay ahead, I might have missed something that was well worth my time.  The same in any of our leader roles: take the time, make the effort, look at things from different angles.  You never know what you may find...or may have missed by giving up too early.

Oftentimes, we fight long hard battles up impossible hills in our field.  If we all take a second look, through a different viewer, that little bit of extra effort may let us see something we missed.  More importantly, that could lead us to a better, more effective path.  Take a moment on this long holiday weekend (or after!) and do just that.  What do you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment