Yes, I know. This
shouldn't have to be a topic of any modern blog. But, by golly, I still attend useless
meetings that are not run well, and I bet you do too. This is my plea to my peers to help run
better meetings and to teach those who work for us how to do so as well.
Why do we care?
I've ranted in some previous posts that we simply are not getting our
message across. If we hold meetings without purpose or good outcomes, no one
will attend and if you get lucky enough for someone to actually attend then
they still won't take you seriously. It
may be a small thing, but a well run meeting enhances your professional
profile. If your meetings are seen as
effective, then maybe your Infosec program isn't all that bad, too.
So what is a good definition of a meeting? Number one rule: don't have team meetings on Mondays. This tip, thanks to Manager Tools, is a good one because people are either 1) ready to dive into work on Monday mornings or 2) not ready to have any sort of check in first thing on Mondays. Now that I think about it, this is really true, and I myself need to stop this practice.
Next up: be organized. You called the meeting. Don't get a group of highly-paid professionals to break away from the million other things they have to do just so you can flounder around a topic. Have an agenda, send it out in enough time that people can wrap their heads around what they are there to do and then keep to the time you set the meeting for. It's just plain disrespectful to run over. Those folks in the room have other commitments, so don't hold them hostage just so you can finish yours. Schedule a follow up or follow up via email.
A couple other good thoughts from an article I found: please, please, please show up on time. If you organized a meeting, you should be the first one there. And here is one that a lot of people don't think about any more: make introductions. If not everyone knows each other, then make sure they all do before the meeting starts. This makes a more comfortable environment for all to participate in.
I am sure there are plenty of other meeting pet peeves that you encounter all the time. Feel free to share so that we all can strive to make the dreaded meeting not so dreaded any more!
No comments:
Post a Comment